Monday, December 2, 2013

Media and GLBTQ Issues

So I have decided to change my research topic. This may sound pretty crazy to do so late in the game but I just wasn’t feeling as interested in my topic as I got into it and one of the responses I received on my topic pointed out a huge flaw in my foundation. I have decided to focus my research to a new topic. I want to examine how new media has changed pre-existing attitudes towards gay, lesbian, bisexual, transgender, and queer issues. The GLBTQ community has become vastly more accepted in the world compared to where we as a society stood only a decade ago. I want to examine how media has influenced that.

The first area I want to examine is television. Television was and still is one of the most actively used forms of media distribution in the world. In the 20th century it was the absolute most influential and that is why I want to start here. I want to examine how GLBTQ issues were first introduced to the mass public and track that growth pattern so that I can identify the variables that influenced opinion. It is my hope that I can then apply these variables to GLBTQ information disseminated through social media and compare the effectiveness of the two mediums.

When I address social media’s impact on the issue I believe that I can target key concepts that were first examined through the inter-web. These very concepts lead to the formation of numerous organizations, groups, and new understanding of GLBTQ issues. Of the top of my head I can think of things like the Trevor Project which is an organization who tries to reduce the amount of teen suicide in the GLTBQ community. We see social media celebrities like Tyler Oakley who have become GLTBQ icons due to the strategic use of social media.

I believe that this new concept will keep me engaged and prove quite interesting to examine.

5 comments:

  1. I love this new topic that you are going to research on! It's so try and clear how it's acceptance has changed! There are so many ways to go about this due to the fact that we have so many sources of media now. A huge strength you have on this is that its about a topic that interests you and hat you genuinely want to look into, and I think that will make a huge difference in your paper. When you're excited and interested, the reader is excited and interested.
    I don't know if you've heard of this, but I remember quite a long time ago seeing commercials for the "it gets better project". It's pretty much a help for the LGBT youth. Here's their site if you want to check it out!
    http://www.itgetsbetter.org

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think that this new concept will be very interesting because it is a hot topic. Most people have very strong views about the GLBTQ community. For the most part, people have been able to use new media to raise awareness and gain support for equal rights for same-sex couples. Yet new media also provides a platform for protesters like the Westboro Baptist Church to speak out against equal rights for nontraditional couples (even in ways that are socially unacceptable). Cyberbullying is also an issue that has accompanied social media; for minorities and people who are discriminated against based on their sexual orientation, new technology provides new challenges.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think the new topic that you have picked is pretty interesting. I think in this day and age this topic is very good to talk about. With this new topic that you have chosen I think that there is a lot of things that could be talked about and addressed in your paper. I think with a this issues of your topic being something that is a big issue in our decade now there should be a lot of information there for you to help you and also to narrow it down more.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I don't remember what your last topic was, but this one certainly sounds interesting. And if it's more interesting to you, then it's going to be more interesting to the reader as well. It seems like you've got some solid ideas but may still need a few more. Perhaps if you could think of another medium besides television and social media, but that may be difficult. Maybe you could just break each one of those down into even more parts to be discussed.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is a good topic I think because of its relevance to society today. I think society's notion of equality is not yet correctly aligned with what it should be. Sometimes, I compare issues concerning equality amongst the GLBTQ community with the Civil Rights Movement. Personally, it's difficult to imagine that people of color were not allowed to attend school with white students at one point in time, especially since my best friend is of African-American descent. Over the years, it's become more and more clear to me that I am in the middle a movement such as potent and significant to the future of mankind as the Civil Rights Movement was. The media has been very tentative with its depiction of the GLBTQ community, especially in television clearly due to the broad audience. I remember reading an article online that detailed a foreign nation's censorship of a same-sex kiss depicted in the television show Glee. I think this particular example and the like would be extremely conducive to your research.

    ReplyDelete